Sunday, February 21, 2010

Purpose

So I was thinking the other day (rarely a good thing), but what is purpose? We talk about it and we put so much stock into it, I was born to do this or that. My purpose in life. What is that supposed to mean? I figure it has a lot to do with a concept rather than anything specific. I think passion plays, or should play, a big part of what your purpose in life becomes. Purpose is this idea that what you want to do in life should be a reflection of the type of person you are. Merriam-Webster dictionary defines purpose as: something set up as an object or end to be attained. Is just getting the job you want your purpose? Can we really believe that to be the end all, defining who you are? I am thinking that purpose is much more vague and defining, that your purpose is to be a leader, your purpose is to create, or your purpose is to make change in the world around you. Jobs will always change, interests vary through the years but if you're a leader does that ever go away? While you may have many interests, what is the root of everything? Maybe that is your purpose.

Rumi "Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love."

I pose this because I wonder what my purpose is. I don't have necessarily something I want to become. I mean I want to be lots of things. I want to do lots of things. When I was little I wanted to be a lawyer or a judge, well I was told I should so I made that something I wanted to do. I have thought of being a chef. I have thought of going into commercial art. I have thought of being a minister. I think I want to work in government. I think it would be cool to be a traveling food critic. But really I don't care what job I have sometimes, its a job and too often, jobs are just a means to make money so that we can live a different life and pursue our passions. So what then is my purpose? What can I conclude from all my various interests would be my purpose in life?

I struggle with this idea because you hear from people these ideas that they "know" whatever you do you'll be successful. Or that you're going to do well. How do they know? How do I know? If I don't even know in what direction I should take my life in, what is my purpose that I can then draw upon and find solace. Through this dialogue I don't think I have found an idea of purpose that is acceptable. So purpose is a driving force which combines our interests and passions allowing us to find meaning in the things we do on a day to day basis. Your purpose is to create, yours is to lead, yours is to make change, yours is to innovate, yours is to touch lives, yours is to love, ... what is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment